Vegan Makhni Gravy
Makhni Dal is a North Indian Punjabi cuisine. A must included gravy in every restaurant or wedding menus. Here the recipe eminently displays the amalgamation of wholesome, vegan yet conventional Makhni gravy.
- 4 tomatoes
- Fistful cashews
- 4 pieces of black peppercorn,
- 3 pieces of clove,
- 1 black cardamom,
- 3 green cardamom,
- One Indian Bay leaf,
- 3 green chillis,
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste,
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder,
- 1 teaspoon Ground spices (Garam masala),
- Coconut cream,
- Dried fenugreek
Calcium: 111 mg
Dietary Fiber: 10.8g
- Start by chopping the tomatoes and add these in a pressure cooker along with cashews.
- Meanwhile, start off by adding spices and measuring the rest of the ingredients.
- Add salt. sugar and cook the whole mixture up to five whistles
- Once the tomato puree is cooked, blend this all in a mixture.
Preparation of gravy
Add tomatoes, cashews, black peppercorn, clove, cardamoms, salt, sugar, tez patta (Indian bay leaves) in a pressure cooker. Cook until five whistles. Blend these to a paste.
Heat oil in a vessel, add three slit green chillis, ginger garlic paste and cook it for a while.
Add red chilli powder in the vessel and at 3 seconds later add some water to give gravy a good red colour. Add the tomato paste to it.
Add salt, sugar for seasoning, garam masala powder to the cooking vessel. Add some coconut cream to the mix.
Garnish the gravy with fenugreek fried leaves (kasuri methi) Let the gravy cook for a while.
Serve it hot and let them wonder if it is as tasty as the conventional makhni gravy…!