Animal farming is causing immense distress on natural resources like land, water, soil, forests and air. You would be surprised to know the following facts on environment implications of animal farming.
1. Factory farming accounts for 37% of methane (CH4) emissions, which has more than 20 times the global warming potential of CO2.
2. It takes almost 20 times less land to feed someone on a plant-based (vegan) diet than it does to feed a meat-eater since the crops are consumed directly instead of being used to feed animals.
3. As per a report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector combined.
4. The animal-based diet requires almost 10 times the land and more energy than the plant-based diet in the production process.
5. Raising animals for food is the leading cause of rainforest destruction, Species extinction, Ocean dead zones, Freshwater consumption.
6. More than 90 percent of all Amazon rainforest land cleared since 1970 is used for grazing livestock.
You can watch “Cowspiracy” on Netflix to understand the impact of animal farming on the environment better. Cowspiracy has been produced by Leonardo DeCaprio, who is a staunch environmentalist.
Seeing all these researches and numbers, it is easy to understand the implication of animal farming, and eating animal related products on the environment and natural habitats. Contaminated air, polluted soil and water are a major cause of contamination in food items too which eventually reaches our table.
That’s why Being Vegan is important for an eco friendly living.