This need has given rise to broadly two types of unconventional meat categories:
- Mock Meat: Also known as faux meat, vegan meat basically plants proteins processed in a certain way, so that they mimic culinary properties (taste, smell, and texture etc) of meat.
- Cultivated Meat: It is also known as lab-grown meat or clean meat. It is like conventional meat, only grown in labs. It is cultured in labs using animal cells.
Hundreds of companies across the globe are building products that can be put in either of the groups. Mock meat, the plant-based meat industry is thriving, gaining traction and there is a whole bunch of plant-based meat products in the market. Where the lab-grown meat category has not witnessed the launch of a widely accepted and popular product yet.
Now let’s try to understand their differences in more detail.
- They are only made from plant protein and hence, do not contain any inflammatory compounds that animal proteins contain.
- There is a wide range of vegan meat products in the market in different categories like beef, chicken, turkey, sausage, salmon etc.
- Vegan Meat doesn’t contain animal fat and other harmful inflammatory substances that are found in animal-based foods.
- It requires much less land, water and resources for production. It is cruelty-free. No animals are slaughtered or exploited in the process.
- Lab-grown meat is made by in vitro cultivation of animal cells.
- Cellular agriculturists take small sample of cells by swabbing a skin tissue, a feather, or any other body part.
- The cells chosen must have a rapid rate of multiplication. Just like embryonic stem cells, adult stem cells, or myoblasts.
- The cells are then placed into a growth medium, a nutrient-rich solution, in a controlled cultivator.
- In this atmosphere, the stem cells act as if they are still in the animal’s body. They proliferate quickly and into high-density tissues.
- Thus results in a product that looks, feels, and tastes like meat. Because it is biologically meat.
- Since it is biologically meat and made from animal proteins. It contains inflammatory substances that are present in animal-based food.
- It would have an adverse effect on health as any other meat products.